Sports Injury Treatment
Dr. Paul M. Lewandowski is a trusted Boonton Township chiropractor who enjoys working with athletes. He finds that many of his physically active patients don't come in after an injury has occurred. But chiropractic care is effective for treating as well as preventing sports injury.
Common Sports Injuries Treated by a Chiropractor
A sports injury can happen acutely, due to incidents such as slips, falls, or collisions. Sport injuries can also occur gradually over time, especially in response to repetitive movement, over-training, poor technique, and ill-fitting or improper equipment.
The following injuries are a few of the most common ones we see:
- Muscle Strains & Ligament Sprains - these soft tissue injuries occur when microscopic tears (of varying degrees of severity) develop in muscle or ligament fibers. They often occur due to tissue stretching during contraction.
- Runner's Knee - anterior knee pain caused by breakdown of the cartilage underneath the knee cap.
- Tendonitis - inflammation and pain in tendons (e.g., biceps, Achilles, quadriceps, and patellar tendons), which connect muscle to bone.
- Shin Splints - microscopic tears and inflammation in the tissue on the front of the shins.
- Plantar Fasciitis - inflammation and damage to the thick plantar fascia, which is the tissue running along the bottom of your foot.
How Chiropractic Care Benefits Athletes
Chiropractic care offers several benefits to athletes. For one thing, it's completely natural and requires no drugs or invasive procedures, so athletes do not have to worry about harmful side effects or prolonged downtime.
Chiropractors can also offer individualized plans of care for injured athletes using treatments which address underlying causes of injury in addition to relieving the symptoms. This includes services such as:
- Graston technique - a tool-assisted technique to break up tissue tension and improve blood flow
- Kinesiotaping - accelerate healing by increasing circulation and providing tactile feedback
- Active Release Technique - a combination of movement plus massage to break up tissue adhesions and restore range of motion
- Corrective Exercises - restore strength, endurance, and flexibility of key muscles
- Spinal Adjustments - realign spinal joints and improve nervous system function
Lastly, chiropractors are highly skilled in evaluating human movement. Our Boonton Township chiropractor can identify areas of mobility limitations and improper movement mechanics which, if left uncorrected, can dysfunction and hold an athlete back from their physical potential.
Are You an Athlete? Connect with Our Chiropractor in Boonton Township NJ for Drug-Free Healing
Whether off-season or in-season, chiropractic care could be the thing you need to help you get to the next level of the game! Contact Lewandowski Chiropractic at (973) 402-1331 in Boonton Township NJ today to schedule an appointment with our experienced chiropractor.